Thursday, April 29, 2010

Tech Lesson Plan

Well, that was not my finest moment but life does go on even after you fail in front of your peers. I have given a lot of thought to the lesson both before and after I presented. The truth is that I did not present the technology well but I think that it is an appropriate use for WallWisher. Looking at the TPCK model, the pedagogy and content were both acceptable but it was a very poor explanation of the technology. Book clubs are a valuable tool for introducing literature of different reading levels yet all on the same subject. By including a class blog, the whole class is able to participate in the subject discussion even when the books are at very different lexiles. By using Wallwisher as another tool to encourage discussion and collaboration within the small group it enables the students to participate in a smaller, less formal environment. The students must partcipate because members within the small group are counting on eachother. The Wall is a perfect spot for posting vocabulary- both pictures and words-and short comments.
My downfall: In retrospect I should have sent out the email to my classmates during the week to ensure that they were all on board. The reason it did not work is because I typed in the addresses from the list instead of just copying from Jim's original list. I obviously made some mistakes. When the email did not work, I panicked. At that point I should have had my page displayed and encouraged everyone to practice on their own. It is a very simple tool to use and I over-complicated it. It is more intimidating to present to peers than to a class of students. I hope that in the real world I would react calmly and not let the technology overtake the lesson. I am challenged by technology. This does not mean that I will not use it when it makes sense but sometimes paper and pencil are the way to go.

2 comments:

  1. MAG: You are too hard on yourself. I think your presetation was great. Yes, you had technical difficulties, however, that will always happen in some shape or fashion. Technology is not perfect - it can't be because there are just too many variables involved. What is important is that you introduced us to a new concept, Wallwisher, and showed us how it could be used in class. I, for one, think it is pretty cool and will continue to play with it so that I can use it with my students as well -- so, you did convert one person! Great job Mag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Judith. The lesson was very good. I had a quote up in my first classroom, which I found somewhere, that said something to the effect that "the only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing." (John Powell I think, though I don't know who he is.) The ability to reflect honestly, identify areas that need work, and continue on are the really important skills. And believe me, I have had more than my fair share of technology disasters in front of a class.

    ReplyDelete